All FUMC Connect submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Weather Update
We are aware of the impending weather, and a decision will be made on Saturday as to whether worship will be held this Sunday. Rev. Williams will send out an email notification if the decision is made to cancel, and posts will be made to the Website, Facebook, and Instagram.
Even if church continues, please stay home if it is unsafe for you to attend. Praying that everyone is warm and safe this weekend!
- Lord & Taylor Parking
The parking lot adjacent to the church parking lot is no longer open to the public. Lord & Taylor has given FUMC permission to park in their customer parking lot in the section closet to the church. This permission extends to Sunday worship and special worship services that require overflow parking. Parking is also available in the town lot located on Prospect Street. Let us continue to praise God for neighborly relationships and the continued growth of our church in such a way that necessitates overflow parking.
- Growing an Engaged Church – Installation and Blessing of Strategic Teams! Team leaders have been identified for each one of the seven teams created for implementing our ambitious church-wide goals. The teams have been formed from much discernment by the congregation through talks with Pastor Williams, the congregational survey and the strategic planning retreat. Each Sunday in January and February one of the teams will be installed and receive a blessing for their work during the worship service.We invite you to join us in blessing each of these ministry teams:
Team Installation and Blessing Sunday
Worship-Music-Arts January 13, 2019
Outreach-Mission January 20, 2019
Fun January 27, 2019
Welcome February 3, 2019
Social Justice February 10, 2019
Nurture February 17, 2019
Kitchen-Hospitality February 24, 2019
Administrative March 3, 2019
Church Council, SPRC, Nominations, Trustees, & Finance
It is not too late to join a team! Throughout the season of Epiphany, commitment cards can be found on a table in the side Narthex. Following prayerful consideration, fill out your card and turn it in during worship following the weekly installation litany. Your information will be forwarded to the leaders of the team you select.
- Our Condolences to the Taylor Family. Former long-time member, Katharine “Kathie” Taylor died on January 5, 2019 in Tinton Falls, NJ. Her niece, Jan Taylor emailed to let us know of her passing. Kathie would have been 99 years old at the end of February 2019!
The family is gathering stories about her life. If you have any photos and/or stories to share about Kathie and her life at FUMC, please forward them to Jan Taylor, 524 North Market Street, Myerstown, PA 17067 or email her at email@example.com
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Service. Join us on Monday, January 21, 2019 at 1 PM at the First Congregational Church, (125 Elmer Street, Westfield) for a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Service. We will march from the MLK Monument on the South Circle to the church before the service. Gather at the Monument at 12:15 PM. Bring a non-perishable food donation for the Westfield Food Pantry.
- District Superintendent Rev. Drew Dyson appointed to new extension ministry. Drew A. Dyson has been appointed to an extension ministry as Executive Director of the Princeton Senior Resource Center effective March 19, 2019.
- Sang Won Doh has been appointed to Raritan Valley District Superintendent. Sang-Won DohSang Won Doh is senior pastor at Calvary Korean UMC. He is currently serving Calvary Korean UMC in East Brunswick where his grew the congregation from 500 to 950 in worship. Previously, he served Monmouth Grace UMC in Eatontown where attendance grew from 110 to 300. As a result, he became the recipient of Denman Evangelism award in 2003. Sang Won Doh served as a member of Board of Ordain Ministry from 2000-2012 and Order of Elder Co-Chair from 2004-2008. He is currently serving the Chair of the Connectional Table Chair for GNJ. He is a turnaround spiritual leader.
- Adult Faith Development
Join us Sunday mornings in January at 9 am in the Fellowship Room where we will go deeper into practical ways of being a welcoming and hospitable congregation. Come learn how to create a more just world where everyone can thrive. See you there.
- Jan. 13th – A deeper look into creating a welcoming culture
- Jan. 20th – Dean Pratt – Understanding Other Faiths – A look at Judaism & Islam
- Jan. 27th – Special guest: Rev Dr Amy Jones – Family Promise and Hospitality. Who are some of our most vulnerable neighbors and how can we show them grace and hospitality? Come hear an update on the state of homelessness in Union County and the opportunities and challenges in serving families experiencing homelessness, as well as the social justice issues confronting us as we work to find solutions to family homelessness. Family Promise is a nonprofit agency serving families experiencing homelessness. FUMC is a host congregation for Family Promise-Union County’s emergency shelter program, providing a safe place for families to sleep.
Our upcoming topic in February: Christianity in America
- Current Sermon Series & Mission Project
January: From Expectations to Reality.
Collecting Diapers in January (click here to read more): United Methodist churches throughout New Jersey recently partnered to collect more than 87,000 diapers (goal was 10,000) for low-income families with infants in the capital city. In New Jersey, one in three mothers struggle to provide enough diapers for her children. The diapers will be distributed at community birthday parties in 2019. The parties will celebrate one year olds and their families. Every child in diapers who attends will receive diapers. These ‘First Birthday Parties’ will be sponsored by the Maker’s Place, a new United Methodist initiative in Trenton, in partnership with the Children’s Home Society of New Jersey, along with other congregations and community partners. While celebrating important milestones for children, the parties will also provide resources to reduce Trenton’s high infant mortality rate. The first party will be on March 2, 2019, at Turning Point United Methodist Church, located at 15 South Broad Street, Trenton.
Upcoming Worship Series
February: Love in Action
- Youth News.
There is no Youth Group this week! See you on Sunday, January 27th for Escape the Maze!
For our summer mission trip, we will be serving with The Philadelphia Project June 23rd-29th! Please contact Kylie Haskins at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the trip or are interested in signing up.
- Altar Flower Chart. The 2019 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members.
- Join the Puzzle Club! In the Fellowship Room closet are puzzles for all ages. Take one home and enjoy doing it on long winter days or nights. After you have finished, bring it back and get another one. Have fun!
- Volunteers needed to help local families. FUMC is responsible for the Westfield Food Pantry, located at Holy Trinity School, every Tuesday from 9:15 to 11:15 AM. Each Tuesday, 2-3 volunteers work at the panty providing a shopping cart full of groceries to about 7 families.
We are in need of people willing to substitute when a permanently-scheduled volunteer is not able to work. If you are free on Tuesday mornings and interested to help out at the Food Pantry on a as-needed basis, please contact Joann Huber (908-313-3360; email@example.com)
Mark Your Calendar
- Family Promise. We shall provide shelter, food and hospitality to families served by Family Promise of Union County the week of March 31 – April 7, 2019. Many volunteer opportunities will be required as we once again serve those less fortunate than ourselves.
Click here to sign up for the week of March 31 – April 7,2019. We need volunteers to make dinner, host dinner or stay overnight:
Two volunteers will be needed each night from 5:00-9:00 p.m. to serve and share dinner with our guests and to spend time with them in the evening. Two overnight volunteers will be needed from 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
Questions? Contact Laura Gribbin at 908-654-8290 or Susan Gandy at 908-233-2389.
Members and Friends
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org about your listing.