All FUMC Connect submissions should be emailed to email@example.com
- Special Charge Conference – May 15. There will be a Special Charge Conference on Tuesday, May 15th at 7:30 PM whose sole purpose is to accept a bequest from Henry Murphy’s Estate.
- The Strawberry Festival is coming! Help celebrate our teachers, leaders and graduates on Sunday, May 20th with a post worship luncheon capped off with a delicious strawberry dessert. This event will be a fundraiser for our scholarship fund, so while there is no cost to attend, please consider a generous offering at the door. Contact Nancy Anderson (908) 233-0159 or firstname.lastname@example.org to help by providing a platter of sandwiches or a salad or a cake.
- FUMC Garden NEWS
No Garden Workday is planned for Saturday morning May 12th. Enjoy Mother’s Day weekend.
No Garden Workday is planned for Saturday morning May 19th. A Memorial Service for Kathleen Hertell will be held on that morning.
However, on Saturday May 26th (9:00 am till noon) we will be mulching many of the flowerbeds around the church. Many workers, plus wheelbarrows, pitchforks, shovels, and rakes will be needed. For more info call 908-967-9144.
Returning Succulent Plants after “Winter Care.” If you provided foster care for tender succulent plants over the winter, now is the time to return them to FUMC for planting outdoors. You may keep any offspring that were produced while under your care. Place these plants anytime on the stones of the “Basil Garden” next to the entrance from the parking lot.
FUMC’s annual plant sale. Varieties of perennials (plants that return year after year) from the beautiful gardens of FUMC are available for a small donation to support landscaping activities at FUMC.
- Adult Faith Development
Sunday Morning Bible Study.
Join in the discussion on Sunday morning at 9:00 am in the Fellowship Room. This week we will study Matthew 15:21-28. Please read this passage in preparation for Sunday’s discussion.
- Youth Group News.
There is no Youth Group this Sunday! Spend some time with your mom and tell her she’s awesome!
We are fundraising for our summer mission trip with Next Step Ministries by selling shares in our trip through May 13th! If you would like to know more about the trip or how to purchase “stock”, please contact Kylie Haskins at email@example.com!
We are also currently looking for a male chaperone to join us on the trip. If you would be interested in volunteering to serve with us July 29th-August 4th, please contact Kylie!
- A Message from Staff Parish
To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1.
As we move into an exciting season of change for First United Methodist, Westfield, it may be helpful to understand the coming months so we can celebrate this opportunity for change and recognize our sadness missing our long time clergy moving onto new opportunities. We are looking for volunteers to help with the upcoming celebrations. Please contact Traci Basaman firstname.lastname@example.org or 908-397-0408 (call or text) to help celebrate our clergy.
Some important dates to remember:
- June 3 – Celebration of David’s ministry after church
- June 10 – David’s last Sunday leading service and Confirmation
- June 17-30 – Guest preachers. David continues with pastoral care
- July 1 – Rev Williams first Sunday. Celebration and welcome of William following church.
Celebrating David Mertz. Please share any favorite memories, photos etc of David with Staff Parish before May 27th by leaving them in the SPRC mailbox in the church office.
If you have any questions regarding the transition process, please contact a member of SPRC or Traci Basaman email@example.com.
- Vacation Bible School Registration. Join us July 9th – 12th for the Summer 2018 Vacation Bible School camp in the Peace Lab – where we will discover God’s way of peace! Registration forms available in the church office or click here to download one. Cost for the camp is $35 per child, with a family maximum of $100. The program is designed for children entering Kindergarten through 5th grade, but note, if we have families with PreK children interested in attending, we can make some adaptations to include children as young as 4.
- Collection for Homeless Pets. To help homeless pets, we will be collecting items for Union County Humane Society through the end of June. Spring is when they wash the animals and clean crates. Old blankets, towels and sheets are needed to use for bedding. There is a big need for liquid disinfectant cleaning products (nothing special – just ok for animals). Look for the pet donation bin in the lobby area. Questions? Contact Vanessa Zimmerman.
- Rev. Ed Carll Retirement. Denville UMC is hosting a retirement dinner for Ed Carll on June 10, 2018 at 4 pm at Rockaway River Country Club in Denville. Cost is $55 per person. They are also inviting people to submit photos or notes about Ed and Gabriele. Contact Jean at Denville UMC for further information at 973-627-1041.
- Help is needed during worship in the coming weeks to share the Time with Children message on the following dates in May and June: May 27th, June 10th, 17th, and 24th. Support and guidance will be provided. Please contact Marcee Rogers via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 908-591-6680.
- Noontimerswill next meet on Friday May 18, 2018 from 12-2 in the Fellowship Room. Our program will be a “Cross Generation Encounter.” The fourth grade classes of Holy Trinity School in Westfield will join us for lunch and program time. We’ll play games to learn more about each other. Laura Gribbin from FUMC is one of Holy Trinity’s fourth grade teachers who will help guide our program. Bring a friend and a bag lunch; coffee, tea, and dessert will be provided.
- Westfield Food Pantry.
Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients.
There is an urgent need for the following:
- Bar soap
- Body wash
- Grocery Gift Card Sale EverySunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
- Open Altar Flower dates. The 2018 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming open dates: June 17. July 8, 22 & 29.
Mark Your Calendar
- The Madrigal Singers will present “Ah, Cruel Love!” on Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 2 PM in our Sanctuary. The concert features sacred Motets and decidedly un-sacred Madrigals from the Renaissance and beyond. $15 general admission, $10 student and seniors.
- Celebrating Su Iliff. Please join us for a celebration of Su Ilff’s Ministry Sunday June 24th immediately after church in the Fellowship Room. In further celebration of Su’s 10 years with FUMC, we are requesting any photos, favorite memories, prayers or notes be submitted to Cheryl Klimek at email@example.com or put in the SPRC Box in the office by June 1st.
- VBS Volunteers. We are in the process of recruiting volunteer adults and youth to help lead VBS the week of July 9th-12th – so if you have the time and the interest in helping with this wonderful summer faith and fellowship program, then contact Marcee Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on how you can serve.
In addition to helping out during the camp week, volunteers are needed before and after to fill a variety of roles from planning, promoting, decorating and materials preparation to cleaning up, closing up, program evaluation and completing delivery of mission collections.
- Midweek Worship. Once a month, on the THIRD Wednesday, we gather in the Fellowship Room at 6:30 PM for Midweek Worship. It is a less formal and shorter service than our traditional Sunday worship and is designed for individuals and families who can gather to reconnect midweek. Mark them on your calendar and join us on May 16, and June 20.
- First Friday Family Fellowship. Mark your calendars and plan to join us in the Fellowship Room on June 1st at 6:30pm to meet with old friends and make new ones as we share a variety of summer faith development activity ideas. Bring an item for the pot luck dinner and contactMarcee Rogers for questions and to RSVP.
Members and Friends
- Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of The Pumpkin Patch, the FUMC vegetable garden, worship services and more.
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email email@example.com about your listing.