Congratulations to ….
J.J. and Amanda Pearson in the birth of their son, Parker John Pearson on April 5, 2018. Parker weighs 6 lbs and is 19″ long. He joins big sister, Piper James, almost 20 months old. Proud grandparents are Barbara and Rick Ellsworth and uncle is Jeff Pearson.
- Gardening at FUMC – This Saturday. Take advantage of a beautiful Spring day by enjoying the FUMC Gardens this Saturday morning, April 14, 9:00 am until noon. While the gardens look quite nice after a long winter, there are important tasks to do to maximize their beauty later in the year. Bring gloves and your hand tools (pruner, trowel, rake, etc.). “Many hands make light work.” Dan Bottorff
- Adult Faith Development
Sunday Morning Bible Study.
Join in the discussion on Sunday morning at 9:00 am in the Fellowship Room. This week we will study Luke 24:13-35. Please read this passage in preparation for Sunday’s discussion.
- Special Charge Conference. There will be a Special Charge Conference at 7:00 PM on Monday, April 16, 2018. The sole purpose of this charge conference is to set the compensation for our incoming pastor, Rev. William Williams, III.
- Mark Your Calendar for Sunday, April 22nd
- 9:00 – Morning Mission Discussion – Fellowship Room
- 10:00 – Worship – Rev. Tom Lank, guest preacher
- 11:15 UMVIM Lunch & Learn – Social Hall
Rev. Tom Lank, a United Methodist Deacon, and the Coordinator of the Northeastern Jurisdiction (NEJ) of United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) will join us at FUMC on Sunday, April 22nd. Rev. Lank will share with those who gather for discussion at 9:00 am in the Fellowship Room. He will preach during morning worship.
At 11:15 am after worship we will gather in the Social Hall for a Lunch & Learn. After a light lunch, Rev. Lank will speak further about how UMVIM transforms lives as volunteers help their sisters and brothers around the world. Rev. Lank will field questions about new and ongoing UMVIM opportunities and how FUMC can become involved in supporting UMVIM.
- Youth Group News. This Sunday at Youth Group is our Mystery Party! Come join us in the Loft from 5:30-7:30 PM to put your best sleuthing skills to the test in our life size game of Clue! Please bring a canned food donation.
30 Hour Famine is coming up on April 27th and 28th! We will be having a lock-in chock full of fun activities and lessons, but the twist is that we will be fasting for 30 hours. We will begin our fasts on our own at 7:30 AM on Friday, 4/27, and we will break our fast with a feast on Saturday, 4/28 at 1:30 PM! The deadline to RSVP is Sunday, April 22nd, so please contact Kylie Haskins for more information or to sign up! We also need an adult to stay overnight and help chaperone, so if you’re willing to help out please let Kylie know!
- Help Feed Those Who Are Hungry
Your assistance is needed in transporting the food, toiletry and household items donated by the FUMC and Wesley Hall families to the Westfield Food Pantry (located at Holy Trinity Church). Food can be transported from FUMC’s lobby to the Food Pantry any weekday morning between 9:30 and 11:00 am.
Open weeks include: April 23rd, April 30th. Sign up on the sheet outside the church office or contact Rev. Su Iliff.
- Altar flowers. The 2018 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming open dates: April 22, May 20 & 27.
- Westfield Food Pantry.
Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients.
There is an urgent need for the following:
- Bar soap
- Body wash
- Grocery Gift Card Sale Every Sunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
Mark Your Calendar
- Midweek Worship. Once a month, on the THIRD Wednesday, we gather in the Fellowship Room at 6:30 PM for Midweek Worship. It is a less formal and shorter service than our traditional Sunday worship and is designed for individuals and families who can gather to reconnect midweek. Mark them on your calendar and join us on April 18, May 16, and June 20.
- FUMC scholarships are available for persons continuing their education beyond high school. Scholarships are based on service activities and participation in FUMC worship, education, or youth programs. Applications are now available in the church office and must be submitted by April 22nd in person (at the church) or by email email@example.com. Scholarships will be presented during worship on Sunday, May 20th.
- Noontimers will next meet on Friday, April 20, 2018 from 12-2 in the Fellowship Room. Our program will be about Guide Dogs. A presenter from “The Seeing Eye” in Morristown will bring a dog and share specifics of the history and work of this world famous guide dog organization for the blind. Bring a friend and a bag lunch; coffee, tea, and dessert will be provided.
- Books and Beyond – April 22, 2018. Please join us for Books and Beyond on April 22nd from 7:00 – 8:30 PM. We will be discussingMudbound by Hillary Jordan which is available as both a book and a movie (Netflix).
Members and Friends
- Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of The Pumpkin Patch, the FUMC vegetable garden, worship services and more.
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email Susan Granski firstname.lastname@example.org about your listing.