- Junior Youth Fellowship – TONIGHT!
Junior Youth Fellowship, our monthly program for kids in 3rd – 5th grades, meets TONIGHT (March 1st) at 5:30pm in the 3rd Floor Loft. RSVP to Marcee at firstname.lastname@example.org, to make sure we have a head count for dinner.
- Weather UPDATE: Due to the predicted Nor’easter tomorrow the First Friday Family Fellowship has been canceled.
- Men’s Breakfast. All men are invited to gather at the Westfield Diner at 8:30 AM on Saturday, March 3rd for a time of fellowship. Contact Kevin Dresely at email@example.com or 908-232-5732 for more information. No reservations required!
- Adult Faith Development
Lenten Series – Everyone Has a Story
Each week in our Lenten Series we will feature a different person sharing part of the story of their faith journey. We gather each Sunday at9 AM in the Fellowship Room. Come and listen and reflect on your own journey.
Dale Flowers will speak on Sunday, March 4th.
- Youth Group News.
This Sunday (3/4) at Youth Group is the Hunger and Thirst Games! Join us in the Loft from 5:30-7:30 PM to learn more about world hunger, and please bring a canned food donation!
We will be going to see A Wrinkle in Time on Saturday, March 10th at 4:30 PM at the Rialto Theater in Westfield! Please RSVP to Kylie Haskinsby Wednesday, March 7th if you would like to attend so that she can purchase tickets!
Time is running out to sign up for our summer mission trip with Next Step Ministries in Long Island July 29th – August 4th! Please get your $50 deposit to Kylie Haskins ASAP if you’d like to serve with us, and contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
- New Altar flower chart! The 2018 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming open dates: April 8 & 22.
- Westfield Food Pantry.
Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients. There is an urgent need for the following:
- Bar soap
- Body wash
- Grocery Gift Card Sale Every Sunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
Mark Your Calendar
- SAVE THE DATES – Family Promise. We shall provide shelter, food and hospitality to families served by Family Promise of Union County the week of April 8-15, 2018. Many volunteer opportunities will be required as we once again serve those less fortunate than ourselves.
Click here to sign up for the week of April 8-15, 2018. We need volunteers to make dinner, host dinner or stay overnight:
Two volunteers will be needed each night from 5:00-9:00 p.m. to serve and share dinner with our guests and to spend time with them in the evening. Two overnight volunteers will be needed from 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. More information to follow. Questions will be addressed by Laura Gribbin at 908-654-8290 and Susan Gandy at 908-233-2389.
- Books and Beyond – March 18, 2018. Please join us for Books and Beyond on March 18th from 7:00 – 8:30 PM. Chuck Sheffield will be leading our discussion of Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. (There is no corresponding movie.) This book is the winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2014.
“The heart has reasons that reason does not understand.” – Blaise Pascal
It was the summer of 1961 in the small town of New Bremen, Minnesota. The Twins were playing their debut season, ice-cold root beers were selling out at the soda counter of Halderson’s Drugstore, and Hot Stuff comic books were a mainstay on every barbershop magazine rack. It was a time of innocence and hope. But for thirteen-year-old Frank Drum it was a grim summer in which death visited frequently and assumed many forms. Accident. Nature. Suicide. Murder.
Frank begins the season preoccupied with the concerns of any teenage boy, but when tragedy unexpectedly strikes his family—which includes his Methodist minister father; his passionate, artistic mother; Juilliard-bound older sister; and wise-beyond-his-years kid brother—he finds himself thrust into an adult world full of secrets, lies, adultery, and betrayal, suddenly called upon to demonstrate a maturity and gumption beyond his years.
Told from Frank’s perspective forty years after that fateful summer, Ordinary Grace is a brilliantly moving account of a boy standing at the door of his young manhood, trying to understand a world that seems to be falling apart around him. It is an unforgettable novel about discovering the terrible price of wisdom … yet even in the midst of such grief, beauty can be found in forgiveness, and grace in the smallest of things, and in the most unlikely people.
- Oratorio Singers Concert. On Sunday, March 18 at 3 p.m., we invite you to our annual Oratorio Singers concert featuring many musical gems with chorus, soloists and orchestra. Among them are works of the always- dazzling Mozart: two early choruses — Misericordia Domini and Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Aaron Copland’s lovely and light Old American Songs, Beethoven’s moving and beautiful Elegiac Song, and the World Premiere of a work by our own Trent Johnson Wittenberg—The Story of Martin Luther marking the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. General Admission $20; Students/Seniors $15.
- Midweek Worship. Once a month, on the THIRD Wednesday, we gather in the Fellowship Room at 6:30 PM for Midweek Worship. It is a less formal and shorter service than our traditional Sunday worship and is designed for individuals and families who can gather to reconnect midweek. Mark them on your calendar and join us on March 21, April 18, May 16, and June 20.
- FUMC scholarships will be available for persons continuing their education beyond high school. Scholarships are based on service activities and participation in FUMC worship, education, or youth programs. Applications will be available in the church office beginning March 25th and must be submitted by April 22nd in person (at the church) or by email email@example.com. Scholarships will be presented during worship on Sunday, May 20th.
- Easter Flower Donations
Do you wish to honor or remember someone on Easter Day by contributing to the decoration of the church? Please return this form to the church office with money, in any amount. Make checks payable to FUMC—Flower Fund. Deadline for names of donors in the bulletin is March 25, 2018.
In honor of: ________________________________________
In memory of:_______________________________________
Members and Friends
- Communications Coordinator. FUMC is looking for a part-time Communications Coordinator. The Coordinator would be expected to work approximately 20 hours/week and would be responsible for the majority of communication for the church, including web-based and social media sources to promote the mission and ministry of FUMC to both internal and external audiences.
The Coordinator will be an integral part of the church staff, and will report to the Senior Pastor. The successful applicant will have strong verbal, written and technological skills, will be self-motivated, organized, creative, and be able to work with church members as well as members of the broader community.
For a full job description please contact, Traci Basaman, Chair of the Staff Parish Relations Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of The Pumpkin Patch, the FUMC vegetable garden, worship services and more.
- Original NordicTrak Challenger Cross Country Ski Exerciser in excellent condition. Free. Contact David at email@example.com
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email Susan Granski firstname.lastname@example.org about your listing.