- Adult Faith Development
Living Faithfully into Older Age. Rev. Dr. Nancy Duff is leading a series titled “Living Faithfully into Older Age.” We will meet Sundays in the Social Hall (until Fellowship Room heat is fixed.) from 9:00 – 9:50 AM. This series will explore the promise and threat of older age.
- Wk. 2 (Jan. 14): Retirement.
- Wk. 3 (Jan. 21): Long Term Care Facilities.
- Wk. 4 (Jan. 28): Facing our Mortality.
- Youth Group News. There is no Youth Group this week! Enjoy your long weekend, and we’ll see you again on Sunday, January 21st!
The 21st is also the deadline to sign up to go with us to Sky Zone Trampoline Park on Friday, January 26th! For more information or to sign up, please contact Kylie Haskins at email@example.com
- Wesley Hall Registration. Wesley Hall is now holding registration for the 2017-18 school year. Children from infants to Full Day Kindergarten are eligible for enrollment. There are 2 day, 3 day and 4 and 5 day choices depending on the child’s age. Members of First United Methodist Church are eligible to register at any time and receive 10% off of tuition. Call the school office 908-233-9570 to schedule an appointment for a tour of the school. For more information check the school website at www.wesleyhall.org.
- UMCOR Hygiene Kit Donations Needed. We are collecting items and monetary contributions for United Methodist Commission on Relief (UMCOR) Hygiene Kits until Sunday, February 18th. A UMCOR Relief Kit collection bin is available in the FUMC lobby area. Questions? Contact Rev. Su Iliff (908-436-8708)
Specific items needed for relief kits are listed below. Bring one item or bring several items. Monetary contributions toward the costs of shipping the hygiene kits are also welcomed. Checks should be made out to Westfield FUMC noting that the check is for UMCOR Hygiene kits.
- Hand towel (NEW), 15 x 25 inches to 17 x 27 inches (Kitchen, cleaning, and microfiber towels not acceptable)
- Washcloth (NEW)
- Toothbrush (Adult size only) Do not remove from original packaging
- Bath size soap, 3 oz. and larger sizes only (No Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content) Do not remove from original packaging
- Comb – Comb needs to be sturdy and longer than 6 inches long (No pocket combs or picks, no rattail combs and combs without handle are acceptable with a minimum of 6 inches of teeth)
- Metal nail file or nail clippers (No emery boards)
- $1.00 to purchase toothpaste
IMPORTANT: All items must be new. Do not wash any items as they will be considered used.
- Music and Mission Sunday. Join us for the next Music & Mission Sunday program January 14th at 9am. Come learn about many of the mission ministries of FUMC.
Music & Mission Sunday is a program of our children’s Christian education ministry where we spend some time in worship with music and explore missions looking at how we can live out our calling as Christians to serve one another -open to all ages.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Service will take place on Monday, January 15, 2018 at 1:00 pm at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 414 East Broad St., Westfield. You are welcome to join the march to the service. Our march begins at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument (located between the Town Bank and the traffic circle). Meet at noon. The march to the Church will begin at 12:15 pm.
- Midweek Worship in the Fellowship Room, Wednesday, January 24, 6:30 PM. Amid the hustle and bustle of your busy week, join us for this uplifting, simple worship service.
- New Altar flower chart! The 2018 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming open dates: January 21 & 28.
- Westfield Food Pantry.
Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients.
There is an urgent need for the following:
- Bar soap
- Body wash
- Grocery Gift Card Sale EverySunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
Mark Your Calendar
- Noontimers – Friday, January 19, 2018, – noon to 2:00 PM. Bring a bag lunch. Coffee, tea and dessert is supplied.
January 2018 is a time for healthy starts of all types. Dominique Trott, certified yoga instructor and masters degree candidate in social work, will offer suggestions for improving our physical well-being using breath and gentle body movement.
Dominique has provided leadership for classes on “Yoga as a Spiritual Practice” during Lent at FUMC for the last three years. Her sensitivity to individuals physical needs and limitations is perfect for instructing seniors in improving body movement and balance.
- Books and Beyond – January 21. Greg Wilson will lead the discussion of Kindred by Octavia Butler at Books and Beyond on January 21st. from 7:00 to 8:30 PM.
There is no movie to go with the book, however, there is a different form of “beyond,” a graphic novel entitled, “Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation” by Damian Duffy, illustrated by John Jennings. Greg has a copy of the graphic novel and is willing to loan it out.
Here is a description from Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28818221-kindred):
“More than 35 years after its release, Kindred continues to draw in new readers with its deep exploration of the violence and loss of humanity caused by slavery in the United States, and its complex and lasting impact on the present day. Adapted by celebrated academics and comics artists Damian Duffy and John Jennings, this graphic novel powerfully renders Butler’s mysterious and moving story, which spans racial and gender divides in the antebellum South through the 20th century.
- VBS Planning Retreat. It is planning time for our Summer Vacation Bible School ministry! Join the team and come to the planning retreat on Saturday, January 27th at 9:30 AM in the Fellowship Room.
- FUMC Retreat – Rest, Reconnect, Respond. Save the Date for the FUMC Retreat – Saturday, February 24, from 9 AM – 3 PM at the Mount Saint Mary House of Prayer, Watchung, NJ.
Members and Friends
- Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of The Pumpkin Patch, the FUMC vegetable garden, worship services and more.
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email Susan Granski firstname.lastname@example.org about your listing.