- Adult Faith Development
Living Faithfully into Older Age. Beginning January 7th and continuing through January 28, Rev. Dr. Nancy Duff will lead a series titled “Living Faithfully into Older Age.” We will meet Sundays in the Social Hall (until the Fellowship Room heat is fixed.) from 9:00 – 9:50 AM. This four-week series will explore the promise and threat of older age.
- Wk. 1 (Jan. 7): Stages of Life.
- Wk. 2 (Jan. 14): Retirement.
- Wk. 3 (Jan. 21): Long Term Care Facilities.
- Wk. 4 (Jan. 28): Facing our Mortality.
- Church School News. All classes for children – PreK Parent-Child Faith Story group, Elementary Faith Explorers, and Jr/Sr High Bible Study – resume THIS SUNDAY, January 7th.
- Youth Group News. We will have our mission trip information meeting this Sunday, January 7th at 5 PM, and then from 5:30-7:30 we will be making desserts for the Free Meals Program and playing Grog! This semester we are collecting cans for the Food Pantry so please bring a canned food donation instead of $3 for dinner.
- Wesley Hall Registration. Wesley Hall is holding registration for the 2017-18 school year beginning January 8th. Children from infants to Full Day Kindergarten are eligible for enrollment. There are 2 day, 3 day and 4 and 5 day choices depending on the child’s age. Members of First United Methodist Church are eligible to register at any time and receive 10% off of tuition. Call the school office 908-233-9570 to schedule an appointment for a tour of the school. For more information check the school website at www.wesleyhall.org.
- Music and Mission Sunday. Join us for the next Music & Mission Sunday program January 14th at 9am. Come learn about many of the mission ministries of FUMC.
Music & Mission Sunday is a program of our children’s Christian education ministry where we spend some time in worship with music and explore missions looking at how we can live out our calling as Christians to serve one another -open to all ages.
- Calling All Acolytes! Youth between fourth grade and high school are encouraged to participate as acolytes in the 10:00 AM worship service. Training is provided! This important ministry consists of lighting the candles, extinguishing the candles and carrying the Christ light out at the end of the worship service. If your child is interested, contact Patti Merkle at email@example.com
- New Altar flower chart! The 2018 Flower Chart is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. Thank you for providing these beautiful tributes for our services. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming open dates: January 14, 21 & 28.
- Westfield Food Pantry.
Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients.
There is an urgent need for the following:
- Bar soap
- Body wash
- Grocery Gift Card Sale Every Sunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
Mark Your Calendar
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Service will take place on Monday, January 15, 2018 at 1:00 pm at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 414 East Broad St., Westfield. You are welcome to join the march to the service. Our march begins at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument (located between the Town Bank and the traffic circle). Meet at noon. The march to the Church will begin at 12:15 pm.
- VBS Planning Retreat. It is planning time for our Summer Vacation Bible School ministry! Join the team and come to the planning retreat on Saturday, January 27th at 9:30 AM in the Fellowship Room. Can’t make the retreat and still want to help? Contact Marcee Rogers via email or text (firstname.lastname@example.org/908-591-6680)
Members and Friends
- Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of The Pumpkin Patch, the FUMC vegetable garden, worship services and more.
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email Susan Granski email@example.com about your listing.