1. Adult Faith Development
Summer Bible Discussion
Join in the Monday night Bible discussion from 6:30-7:30PM in the Fellowship Room. The passage this Monday is Matthew 14:22-33. Contact Rev. Su Iliff or Rev. David Mertz with questions.
Coming This Fall: When Did God Become a Christian? – Sundays at 9:00 AM in Room 105 beginning September 10.
In this six week study we will explore and discuss the misconception that the God of the Old Testament is different from the God of the New Testament, which will help us better understand the unity of Scripture and get a clearer picture of God’s holiness in both Testaments. The study will use the book When Did God Become a Christian, Knowing God Through the Old and New Testaments by David Kalas. Please join us as often as you are able on Sunday mornings from September 10 through October 15 for this informal and welcoming exploration of the Bible. For further information contact Joann Huber (908-654-3987).
2. Time with Children volunteers to share in leading worship are needed for August 27th, September 24th and October 8th, 11th, 15th, and 22nd. If you are called to support our children’s ministry program by helping lead this aspect of weekly worship, please contact Marcee Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Guidance and support materials are available.
3. Krafty Ladies/Social Group, Wednesdays through August. Please join us in the Fellowship Room on Wednesdays through August from 1-3 PM. Bring your knitting, sewing and crafts or just join us for social time! We also have some fun projects that you can work on. Hope to see you whenever you can make it! Krafty Ladies will be selling their items at Festifall on September 24th and at their annual bazaar on October 22nd after worship!
4. Youth Group News: Due to weather and other complications, we will not be having our Big Summer Blowout beach and overnight event this weekend. But worry not! Instead we will be having Big Summer Championship, a Wii tournament in the Loft this Saturday, August 12th from 12-3 PM! Bring your best Mario Kart and Super Smash skills, and we’ll supply the games, pizza, and prizes!
Next week’s Morning Movies and Munchies feature is Trolls! Join us in the Loft Wednesday, August 16th from 9 AM to noon for a movie, breakfast, and fun hangout time! Pajamas are welcome and greatly encouraged.
5. Summer Jazz on FUMC’s Lawn. Mark your calendar for the following Tuesday evening: August 15th, 7-9 PM. Bring a picnic dinner (or buy something at one of the many restaurants in downtown Westfield), chairs or a blanket, and join others in listening to some wonderful jazz music on FUMC’s lawn.
Additional information on the 21st Annual Sweet Sounds Downtown Jazz Festival is available at www.westfieldtoday.com.
6. Westfield Food Pantry. Thanks to all of you who continue to bring much-needed items for the Westfield Food Pantry, especially those who brought the items listed below that appeared in last week’s communications. Your contributions were delivered to the food pantry and already provided to the clients.
There is an urgent need this summer for the following:
· Condensed soups (e.g., Campbell’s)
· Pancake Syrup
· Toothbrushes and Toothpaste
· Soap and Shampoo
· Canned fruit
Each week, donated items in the bin in our lobby need to be transported to the Food Pantry at Holy Trinity Interparochial School at 336 First Street.
· There is a new sign-up sheet outside the Church Office next to the worship flowers sign-up sheet.
· Pick a week and sign up to ensure these items get to those who need them!
They can be delivered any weekday morning between 9:30 and 11:00 AM. Contact Su Iliff or Joann Huber with questions.
7. The Altar Flower Chart for 2017 is posted on the wall outside the church office. You are invited to sponsor flower arrangements ($45 per week) for our worship services each Sunday morning. Please sign up, then take an envelope for your payment and to indicate what reading you’d like to appear in the bulletin. You may take the flowers home, or leave them to be delivered to our homebound members. Upcoming available dates: September 3, October 1.
8. Grocery Gift Card Sale Every Sunday. You can help the church raise money simply by using grocery gift cards to buy your groceries. We have ShopRite cards and Stop & Shop cards in $50 and $25 denominations and Panera Cards in $10 denominations. We accept cash and checks made payable to FUMC.
Mark Your Calendar:
1. Jazz Service. August 27 is our next Jazz Service and we will be worshipping outdoors on the lawn by the Memorial Garden (Ferris Place).
2. Annual Report Submissions. We are currently compiling our annual report for our upcoming Church Conference. All leaders/officers are asked to submit their group’s report to the church office no later than Friday, September 1, 2017. Our church conference will take place on Saturday, October 28, 2017 at Aldersgate UMC,(568 Ryders Lane, East Brunswick) at 2:00 PM.
3. Irish Music Benefit Concert for the Oratorio Singers coming in September! Come and join clarinetist Andy Lamy and Friends as they present a fun-fulfilled, toe-tapping concert of Irish Traditional Music on Saturday, September 30 at 7:30 pm at FUMC. Andy and a collection of well known Irish musicians from the New York Metropolitan area will present this concert to benefit the Oratorio Singers and their upcoming March 2018 concert. Andy recently released his first critically acclaimed Irish music CD called “The New Blackhorn Stick,” in which the clarinet is featured in collaboration with traditional Irish instruments. Andy’s subsequent tour of Ireland gathered even more interest in his collaborations. Please join us for this wonderful event and come out and support the Oratorio Singers! A donation of $20 will be received at the door, with $15 for seniors, and $10 for children (16 and under).
Members and Friends
Like us on FACEBOOK! Please LIKE our Facebook page – FUMC Westfield! Look and see some wonderful pictures of Vacation Bible School and the Youth Mission Trip.
Members & Friends is intended to communicate particular requests or needs of FUMC members or FUMC friends (e.g. transportation needs for medical appointments, worship, etc., wheelchair available for donation, need for a live-in caregiver, etc.). These postings should be concise and list a contact person. Please contact the church office 908-233-4211 or email Susan Granski email@example.com about your listing.